Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Merry Christmas

Usually at this time of year I am reflecting on the actual Christmas story: the birth of Jesus; trying to see it from a different perspective, savor it in a new way. This year I seem to have a broader picture. I am reflecting on and digging into other portions of the Word...but thereby appreciating and amazed by His birth all the more...
Isn't it awesome how God does that? As we get to know Him deeper and love Him more completely, He reveals Himself and blesses us with understanding -- no matter what "story" we are reading.

This morning I read a passage in Luke (chapter 18, not 2), and in comparing the responses of two people toward Jesus, I was overwhelmed. I was saddened by the heart of the rich, young ruler; seeing myself in him at times. I saw so much beauty in the heart of the blind beggar; longing for and relating to the need and desperation he must have felt.

The contrast is striking:
The ruler was...a ruler; young, rich. The blind man...a beggar; he was seen as nothing and he had nothing.
The young man called Jesus "good teacher"; the blind man called Him "Lord."
The rich, young ruler asked a question; the blind man begged for mercy.
The ruler declared his own goodness; the blind man declared his need.
The young man was given an answer and an invitation; the blind man was healed.
The ruler was sorrowful at Jesus' words; the blind man glorified Him.
The rich (but very poor) ruler left; the (once) blind man followed Him.

The basic difference? The ruler missed the whole point -- his need and who Jesus was; the blind man knew his need, was desperate for hope and believed that Jesus was God. "Goodness" versus humility; blindness versus faith. The blind man saw much more than the young rich guy.


In my next post I will share some "imaginings" of what the blind man might have experienced. But my point to this post is to wish you all a "Merry Christmas" -- but I hope it's so much more than "merry." I pray it is meaningful. I pray that you ask Him to reveal Himself to you in a new way and that when He does you are in awe. No matter what He reveals, I hope the joy is overwhelming and that you fall more in love with Him. With that naturally comes an extra measure of joy and understanding and praise for the event we celebrate at this time of year. In "watching" His life we appreciate His birth; why He came. In seeing our need we praise Him for who He is; for coming, for being our only Hope.

Have a BLESSED Christmas.

No comments: