Sunday, November 19, 2006

November 10th: Freeport....and how we enjoyed it on board

It's hard to believe that in the morning we will be disembarking and headed home. I'm excited to go home; I've missed family and friends so much. Yet I am grieving the end of this glorious time. Yes, this is the same person writing this as the one who wrote the pathetic, homesick saga last night. That aspect was very real then...and still true now, just dimmed a bit. I was tired -- and grumpy. My nerves were rather raw after the Nassau trip...

But before I "go there" I'll tell you about the docking in Freeport. It was great to see land after our first long stretch at sea -- but no so impressive as to leave ship! The half-day in Freeport, where many passengers did explore, was for us a lovely day of relaxing. We had breakfast in our room, leisurely readied ourselves for our grand appearance on the main deck, and spent time soaking up some sun. Ah, there's nothing quite like reading and writing on a sunny ship deck, sea air blowing, now-turquoise water sparkling all around.

We enjoyed lunch on the Lido deck dining area and then lay by the pool for a time. (I know, it's exhausting to think about.)

I suppose we all have little secrets about ourselves that no one would suspect based on personality, family, background, etc. It's not that we are necessarily trying to hide such things, they are simply a little surprising -- or shocking, whatever the case may be -- to others. I guess in a simple way this just proves perceptions, family, pasts, really do not define us.
Well, it all began when I saw a girl and guy from the cruise line open up a little booth near the pool for (should I say it?) tattoos. Now, before anyone disowns me (and I won't mention any names, Dad) they were doing airbrush tattoo art. I couldn't help it; I had to go watch. There were some really cute designs on sample pages along with some nothing-close-to-cute ones. I asked how long they lasted (5 days or so), how much it cost ("too much" according to my grandmother) and then somehow ended up talking to the guy about his home (Romania). He was friendly, sweet, cute, charming.....but somehow still not cocky; he kinda tugged at your heart. Anyway, he said he was returning to the ship he works on (another cruise ship in port with us) very soon, so if I didn't hurry he couldn't do it for me. I returned to my pool-side lounge anyway. That little something nudging you to do something weird...have fun... live a little... kept calling to me. Finally, after I had several count down signals from the friendly artist, I stood up, walked purposefully over there and pointed to the butterfly I wanted (well, ok, the cheapest one anyway). He told me to pick a larger one so it would last longer and have more detail and he would do that and the colors of my choice with no extra charge.
So yes. I now write this with a lovely little "monarch" butterfly on my right shoulder blade. I love butterflies. I love their "story," what they represent. Now I can think about that every time I see......my back. Hmm. Well, that's what mirrors are for, right?!

That evening we returned to our cabin in plenty of time to dress for the formal dinner. We were like three little girls playing dress-up. Blake, of course, was most excited because she wore her new formal gown. She looked like a queen walking around ship. Directly afterwards we went to hear Shaunti Feldhan speak. Before she began, I spotted Michael O'Brien standing in the middle of the lounge with almost no one around him. Totally out of character for me, I headed toward him and apologetically asked if he would mind being in a picture with my sister and me. He was so gracious about it -- even when my grandmother couldn't figure out how to work my camera right away.

Oh, I almost forgot! Speaking of doing things unusual, at dinner I decided to be adventurous. I ordered something that I still am unsure of, for an appetizer. It was awful. I provided entertainment, however, because as I tasted it, the table of ladies next to us erupted with laughter. I didn't know I was being watched and the face I made must have been humorous. The salad after that was safe, but I thought I would be extra brave and try something I've always wondered about: duck. Well, now I know! I kept thinking about those that swim in the local pond -- and you should leave the nasty things there, if you ask me!

The time listening to Shaunti later was awesome. She is such a wise woman. She writes columns for newspapers and has authored several books, two of which are "For Women Only" and "For Men Only," the latter co-authored with her husband. I took notes like crazy and pray to write these truths on my heart so that, if God so directs, I may love my future husband as he longs to be. Like I long to do.

The evening was topped off for me by us going to the top deck to take pictures in the dark. The ever-present wind blew our carefully fixed hair completely out of place and my dramatic side came completely out as well. I stood at the rail, as far up and out on the edge as I could, my arms spread wide as I leaned over the black water rushing by. This is probably one of the only times this week that I have been glad I watched The Titanic. (Remember that part?? *sigh*) Oh, the feeling was heavenly. I longed for someone I love to share the romantic atmosphere with. I was content though. My Father and I had a beautiful time.

We attended the midnight buffet display complete with ice sculpture. It was impressive, all of it. But it was still just food. Maybe that's cynical, but it wasn't worth waiting in line for so long, it was 1:30am, and I was ready to sleep. I fell asleep (back at the room, thankfully) so fast that I don't think I had any "last thoughts" or even dreams that I remember.

But I think I probably dreamed of leaning over the edge of a mighty cruiser as it effortlessly sailed through the majestic Caribbean sea. Stars, close enough to touch; clear enough to take your breath. A heavenly Father holding me close...while the one He brought to me for life held my hand and praised our majestic, tender God with me.

No comments: